Friday, January 20, 2012

What's this about?

I grew up reading the King James Bible in a small church in east Alabama that I can best describe as a fundamentalist hybrid of Methodism and Baptist theology. In college, I became a United Methodist (although a relatively conservative one), and have been an active Methodist for the past decade. For a while now, I've been thinking about some of the things we believe as Christians, particularly here in the American South. Even though I was raised with a good foundation of Biblical teaching, I've wondered since reaching adulthood about some of the things that we just take for granted as being in the Bible - particularly some of our cultural mores that I suppose I've always just assumed came from the Bible.


So I decided recently to read the Bible (the English Standard Version) from cover to cover, with one qualification: I'll do my best to put aside everything I think I know about what it says, and see what the text actually does say. I'll post my thoughts, ideas, and questions here for you to consider. Perhaps you'll decide to join me to see what's really in the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment